Tiger I 331 from Schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101, Normandy 1944.
Tiger I 331 from Schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101, Normandy 1944.
**Disclaimer! Important, none of the content of this blog is real. All of the pictures shown come from artistic models or replicas. The contents of this blog are for artistic and educational purposes only.**
Like many other modelers, the Tiger I has always been a vehicle I wanted to tackle. The challenge is that it is one of the most documented and modeled tanks of the Second World War. I was specially interested in the Normandy campaign, so I focused on the fighting around Caen during Operation Epsom (26-30 June 1944).
Schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101 defended the area around Grainville and the Odon river crossings. On 28 June, the tank of SS-Untersturmführer Amselgruber (Tiger 331) was knocked out near Tourmauville after destroying two Shermans that same day. Despite a severe leg wound, the commander stayed with his men.
I used the Takom kit (ref. 2198) with photo-etched parts from Voyager (PE351287), 3D tracks and sprockets from T-Rex, and extra details from BSK Model. The kit already includes good zimmerit, which I further damaged with a rotary tool and plastic glue. Most large photo-etched parts (fenders, exhaust covers) were soldered for strength.
Painting was done with AK Real Colors lacquers (Dunkelgelb base mixed with RC859/RC806, Olivgrün and Rotbraun mixed with the base color for a more faded look). The gun was painted in a grey tone as seen in some period photos. After a general filter and pin washes, I applied light and deep chipping, focused on the damaged zimmerit (showing both Dunkelgelb and the characteristic red primer strips). Dust, mud, streaking, footprints and damp effects were built up selectively with enamels, oils, pigments and acrylic pastes.
Como a muchos modelistas, el Tiger I siempre ha sido un vehículo que quería hacer. El reto es que es uno de los carros más documentados y modelados de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Me interesaba especialmente la campaña de Normandía, así que me centré en los combates alrededor de Caen durante la Operación Epsom (26-30 de junio de 1944).
La Schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101 defendía la zona de Grainville y los cruces del río Odon. El 28 de junio, el carro del SS-Untersturmführer Amselgruber (Tiger 331) fue eliminado cerca de Tourmauville después de destruir dos Sherman ese mismo día. A pesar de una grave herida en la pierna, el comandante se quedó con sus hombres.
Utilicé la maqueta de Takom (ref. 2198) con fotograbados de Voyager (PE351287), cadenas y ruedas dentadas 3D de T-Rex y detalles extra de BSK Model. La maqueta ya incluye un buen zimmerit, que dañé aún más con herramienta rotativa y pegamento de plástico. La mayoría de las piezas grandes de fotograbado (guardabarros, protectores de escape) las soldé para que fueran más resistentes.
La pintura se realizó con lacas AK Real Colors (base Dunkelgelb mezclada con RC859/RC806, Olivgrün y Rotbraun mezclados con el color base para un aspecto más desgastado). El cañón se pintó en un tono gris como aparece en algunas fotos de época. Después de un filtro general y lavados, apliqué desconchados superficiales primero y profundos después, centrándome en el zimmerit dañado (mostrando tanto el Dunkelgelb como las características franjas de imprimación roja). El polvo, el barro, los escurridos, las huellas y los efectos de humedad se aplicaron de forma selectiva con esmaltes, óleos, pigmentos y pastas acrílicas.





No comments:
Post a Comment